Saturday, August 27, 2011

Worn yet not worn. Mistaken fashion.

It has now become inevitable that I write this post, not because of "sadacharam", because I feel pity on people who are doing a terrible mistake in the name of fashion. Dear people especially women who crave for fashion, please read this post. One Malayali blogger has already written a post about this, but let me put in my own views about this misunderstood piece of cloth.
*********************************************************************************

For some months I've been seeing this particular piece of cloth gaining popularity among Indian women. Chudi bottom is a hell of a dress and this thing (I don't know) might have come as a replacement of chudi bottom. As the other blogger pointed out, this piece of cloth is worn widely with slitted churidar tops. Well lets forge that blogger for a while. Let me put in my experiences. Thank God! Today I realized that I have some fashion sense after all! :) Why? I'll prove in the following paragraphs.

First let me tell why I was motivated to write this post after all. I've never worn this thing in my life, never will I, if ever I've to, I'll do it in the proper manner only. So the motivation was my on experiences when (even as a girl) I felt very awkward and said "UH" when I happened to see some people I mean girls wearing this dress. I don't remember when I first saw a picture of leggings; I think in a women's magazine's fashion column. And later on, three years ago, I saw a teenage girl wearing this and I still remember noticing her for her dressing style. She was very stylish. Infact she was dressed up like a high fashion model. I'll tell you why, later.



It seems that lately in India, leggings has gained popularity and if you watch carefully, you can see many people wearing this thing, on the road. And you'll instantly understand the reason behind me writing this blog. I still have not come to my observations. Ok. They are as follows :

1) Here, leggings is in general worn with churidar. And that too, slitted knee length or some what longer churidar,but still with slit. I see long legginnged legs popping put of slits while waiting in traffic, if some girl is on a scooty. If its a thin
underweight girl, its ok. But its still ok only.

2) I witnessed one of the biggest fashion disasters ever some weeks back and yesterday. Well the reasons are as follows:

a) Leggings are not meant to be worn as pants and that too with short tops which you wear with skirts or jeans.

b) Leggings are not meant to be worn with slitted churidars.

History of leggings on wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leggings shows that leggings were used as sort of under wear. Well now you can imagine how awkward you will look if you look if you roam around wearing underwear and no proper over wears, assuming that you are into hight fashion, or atleast you are being fashionable.

I happened to see two fat people wearing the leggings as in case 2) above. Frankly speaking it was completely awful. Not fashionable at all. If I write the reasons you'll wonder whether I'm a girl or not. Please, we don't want to measure your butts or thighs. Nor do we want to see what your skin colour is! :-x We are not at all interested in "seeing things"! :-x If you are so freaky about leggings, please search on the internet for the right ways to wear it.


If you are so lazy or don't have time, I'll write the basic rule of wearing leggings.

1) Leggings is not to be worn as pants. Please do keep in mind. Leggings is not a substitute for your pretty skin fit jeans, that you can wear it with the cute short tops which you wear with the jeans.

2) Leggings is not a substitute for chudi bottom. Atleast when you are not wearing a knee length / longer than knee length top with no slits at all.

3) Leggings should only be worn in the following cases and in the following manner:

a)It should only be worn with mini skirts (for people who don't want to expose their legs while wearing skits and to have a feeling of safety) which are made of thick fabric, like jeans.

b)With unslitted tops of knee length or longer tops WITHOUT slits.

c) With short dresses (if you want to know what a dress is, please google it).

d) Unless you are thin and doesn't have fit legs, please restrain the use of leggings with unslitted churidars (for girls who wear churidaar) if you are still very particular on wearing this particular piece of clothing. Otherwise, frankly speaking (all girls forgive me for these harsh but true words, your feet will remind people of chicken legs; this is the same with any chudi bottom worn with improper tops).

Jeans is a pretty thing. Even if you wear it with a very short top, it won't look awkward, since the fabric is thick. Please compare the thicknesses of fabrics used to make a jeans and leggings. You'll understand. Leggings has the eternal danger of getting torn very easily, so girls who wear ONLY leggings with your favourite tops, please beware of the impending danger.


I appreciate all those who have enough fashion sense and sense of their own body structure not to make their dressing style look awkward. :) I had a chudi bottom churidaar with a long slitted navy blue top and a cream coloured chudi bottom. Once I wore it defying my on sense of discomfort, and retrospecting I found out that I really didn't like that bottom (it was a bottom made of some cotton+polyester stuff), and stopped using it. Now I'm happily, wearing that pretty top with jeans. Again I had another chudi bottom whose pants were so yucky, but the top and duppatta were very nice. Eternal solution. I threw away the bottom (I mean I never used it), paired the top with jeans and the duppatta is still sitting happily inside my wardrobe.

Fashion is not something which you should blindly follow only because everybody else follows it. In that way, putting huge puffs on 3/4 blouse sleeves and wearing leggings in the wrong way are equally disastrous. When you are trying to be fashionable, it should be aesthetically pleasing. And whatever you wear, please make sure that it is something which suits you and you are wearing things in the right way. Something is available in the market doesn't imply that you should follow it blindly. Nothing will happen even if you don't follow any of the so called "contemporary fashion trends" which some stupid fellow might have introduced into the market for their own monetary benefits. So if you are following a fashion, it should be appropriate for you. I recommend "What not to wear" for such people. Plus if you have any doubt about leggings, you can just google, how to wear a leggings properly. You'll get proper guidance from some fashion site.

Just one last note. Just think about the uniforms of air hostesses in private airlines. Have you ever seen them wearing mere leggings?

PS : Coming back to the girl whom I saw three years back. She was wearing a short dress with matching 3/4th leggings. That's reasonable high fashion. :)

PPS : The wikipedia article about leggings mentions men's leggings also. Well, since sherwani is a sibling of churidaar, it is not impossible that some freak will introduce leggings for sherwaani also and in course of time, if males repeat the same mistake of substituting pants with leggings and wear short shirts, it will be a far worse fashion disaster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment